Sunday, April 3, 2011

I don’t want fun... I want you!

Ok, this one’s been long pending to be published. It was back when my girl and I completed five months together. We went to celebrate it (I know it is lame, but there isn’t much one can do when in a ‘relationship’) at Sammy Sosa, Oshiwara. I am personally a big fan of Mexican food, and it was my turn to pick a place to hangout.

The place is two storied, ground floor and the first floor. It’s bright, yet soothingly and very tastefully lit. Enter and immediately on the right you are greeted with this amazing wide variety of the choicest of beer I’ve seen in Bombay so far. They also sport a nice LCD for the sports fan. Their staff is perhaps more cultured than those of a 3 star hotel! We chose to sit upstairs after a little while of waiting. The air conditioning, however, is poor. Either you are sitting right under the blowers or in a complete vacuum. 

The first floor is a little claustrophobic, and the access to the loo is a quite inconvenient altough! The loo was done up pretty well though, looked like something out of an exotic Latin American movie. We Ignored all that and went ahead and called for the menu. Trust me, their beer menu is as elaborate as it gets. Mind you it is freakishly expensive, but yet worth it all! The variety of beer offered here ranges from strong Bavarian beers of alcohol strengths 10% + v/v to Japanese beer Asahi! Each page is dedicated to a single beer with its description.

Now, I’ am always on the lookout for something new. So I ordered the Japanese beer Asahi. She, on the other hand, had never tried Corona (Sometimes I wonder how we managed to get along?!). The host however was wonderful enough to take out time and explain us the kinds of beer they have. True passion right there! So she changed her mind and settled for some other beer.

I ordered burritos (was in Canada for a while, and I simply loved the burritos I had there). She wasn’t really hungry but instead she wanted to taste Asahi, which I obliged her with. Next thing you know she wanted more. Am like, sorry lady, get one for yourself! We then shifted to the regular beer (feeling guilty of having spent more than we planned to). And again she finished her beer quickly and was eyeing my beer! Being who I am, I safeguarded my glass, guarding it with both my hands now. Now what happened next Am not really proud of, but it was something like:

Girl: I was testing you and you failed, twice!
Boy: Of course! You competed against alcohol, what were you even thinking?!


My advice: Never use the above mentioned lines to your girl. The next thing you know she’s taunting you for wanting to have fun all the time and stuff. My next advice, never use the following either: But babes, I don’t want fun... I want you! Only I know how my evening went from there on!

Finally after a few awkward moments comes my burrito! I hate to say this as much as Sammy Sosa was hyped for its Mexican food it was truly not what I wanted. Expectations were soaring above deliverance. First thing first, burrito should be wrapped in a foil or a paper, makes eating it easier, unless the tortilla completely wraps the filling.  Though I expected my burrito dry, it was... well not the wet burrito, but soggy. Even the filling wasn’t worth it at all.

Overall experience was good that night. Just the food part was disappointing (I am still dating that wonderful woman!).

1 comment: